U-DFL Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

RNC Winter Meeting

So as some of you know I am in Washington DC right now participating in George Washington University's Semester in Washington Program. I would encourage you all to apply. It's a great way to get immersed in politics. I've been in DC since Saturday and so far I already saw President Bush ride past, and had Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) say hi as they walked by me.

Today everyone in the program got to go to the RNC winter meeting. Growing up in Madison, Wisconsin and studying in Minneapolis I can honestly say that this was probably the largest group of Republicans I have ever seen at one time.

At the meeting Bush-Cheney '04 Chairman Ken Mehlman stepped aside as Mike Duncan took over as the new chairman and Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL) was given the title of "general" chairman. After the speeches I got to meet Mehlman and discuss the GOP plan for 2008.

Mehlman said the key for a GOP candidate is to stake out their own principles and vision, but still be an extension of Bush so as to win primary votes. That way, they can lessen or at least try and weaken the argument from the Democrats that their (GOP) nominee is merely another four years of Bush. But he also said that unless the public again views Iraq as part of the global war on terror "there is no way we can win the presidency in 2008."

I also met Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and saw him speak while eating a free lunch courtesy of the GOP.

-Noah Seligman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home